Wednesday, 10 September 2008

Migrants

Its blowing an absolute gale here on the Llyn coast today, gusts of 40/50 miles an hour and forecast to get worse as the remains of Hurricane Hanna hit the west coast of Britain tonight. Not many butterflies around this afternoon but there are hundreds of Silver Y all along the coast I walked this afternoon and a few dozen in my garden on Lavender when I got back at 6pm. Might be well worth running those garden traps for a few nights now just to see if any migrants turn up on the front of the gale. Assuming I and the van are still in one piece in the morning and its not peeing down I will check the coastal fringe to see if any goodies have come in and report back.

5 comments:

oldsoulrebel said...

If strong winds affect moths like birds by my experience everything gets blown away from me! 16 degree tonight though so it should be good,
plenty of wine and sugar going out tonight

Martyn

Paul Talbot..aka Moffman said...

Martyn
Its almost impossible to stand upright outside the van at the moment and should you be stupid enough to try you would be soaked in 10 seconds flat as its also peeing down. No moth in its right mind will be stirring around here tonight ! Hopefully my new MV trap should be here tomorrow and I have a new tecnique nicked from an American website for sugaring. Take one bright yellow bath sponge, place it in a white shallow dish and pour a suger mix over it. Its also supposed to attract butterflies if you leave it out during the day. Watch this space.

AndyC said...

Off to wilkinsons for yellow sponge and white plate sounds good to me.Its ok here must be the calm before the storm....

Andrew & Lorna said...

Incidentally that is what they do to feed the butterflies in the butterfly house at manor heath park.

Paul Talbot..aka Moffman said...

Hi Andrew
Probably a simple diluted sugar mix. Here are some useful links that might be of interest

http://www.allfreecrafts.com/nature/butterfly-food.shtml