Monday, 23 February 2009

Ivy Tip


1002 Lozotaenia forsterana
I found a couple of occupied leaves on Ivy (Hedera) this morning here in N.Wales containing larva of this species. Its a species I have looked for in the past in Yorkshire in its larval stage but never found until today here in Wales. Lots of the older leaves on the plants I searched had old feeding signs so I assume the larva moves from leaf to leaf whilst feeding. The only occupied leaves I found were on the newer green growth. I also found some spun together leaves which I think have E.postvittana larva in them. Much more detail of L.forsterana can be seen on Ian Kimbers UK Moths website at http://ukmoths.org.uk/show.php?id=489 Lots of detailed images by Ben Smart appear showing the full larval stages and the adult.
PHOTO Curtesy of Ben Smart

No comments: