Friday, 20 April 2012

596 Elachista poae emerges.

A long narrow corridor mine on Reed Sweet-grass found in the canal at Copley. Quite a scarce species in Yorkshire with just a handful of records.

The larvae habitually changes leaves - twice in this case.

The almost black pupa, originally encased in a whitish cocoon.

The adult emerged 10 days after finding the pupa. For once those frantically twitching antennae aren't because it's unsettled and wants to escape, it because.............

I think, and I could be wrong, that this is a female and not soon after taking a few photos she started calling for a mate by raising her wings to emit pheromones.Any info on this behaviour would be good.

8 comments:

Dave said...

Another amazing set of images and due reward for all your hard efforts.

I had an E. apicipunctella, (netted not reared) last year that exhibited the same posture as shown by your moth, so likewise I'm intrigued if the reason behind this is as you have postulated.

Dave

rusticus said...

Brilliant stuff Charlie.

Are you sending your photos to Ian Kimber's UKMoths site and to Leafminers.co.uk?

Derek

charlie streets said...

I am Derek,Ian's now got one of the adult and I'll get round to sending the mines etc. to Rob.

AndyC said...

Well done a realy great effort,from finding the plant to the adult ..well done indeed.

Philip said...

Is it just confined to reed sweet grass? This grass was much more extensive in the canal before it was re-opened in the Calder Valley. Poa maxima prefers still water and strangely it doesn't occur far from the canal.

charlie streets said...

So far as I know Philip it only mines Reed Sweet Grass. I've seen no reference to it using other grasses.As you say much of the plant has been dredged, especially on the hauling side. There is however large stands of it on the (inaccesible) off side where E.poae could occur in huge numbers.

Poa maxima = Glyceria maxima?

Philip said...

Sorry Charlie, I meant Glyceria. Although I think it did come under the Poa genus at one time but not since Linnaeus in 1753. I will have to get up to date!

charlie streets said...

I've finally made a contribution to a site I've used so often - well chuffed:

http://www.leafmines.co.uk/html/Lepidoptera/E.poae.htm