Sunday, 1 December 2013

WINTER MOTH SPECTACULAR 2




Back to the wood this evening at 4,45..Again Winter moths on every tree the first 34 trees I counted 1381 males and 34 Females,as I went through the wood every tree was crawling with males,at one point I was watching a female drag a male upwards  quite fast and the male took flight carrying the female up about 10 inc  and landing back on the trunk.(?).As I got to the wall that cuts through the wood there were Winter moths all over the wall and on barbed wire fences ,on the dead nettle stems ,50+ on one small elderberry tree,on the dead brambles and swarms flying around the wood. 10,000 seems a massive number but I think it was an underestimation......

2 comments:

charlie streets said...

A wonderful account there Andy and great photos, yet more wildlife that's had a bumper year.I think when I've searched (unsuccessfully) for Winter Moth females a couple of years ago numbers must have been been in a trough.

AndyC said...

Yep, any tree I went up to after getting my eye in produced 4/5 females..A great year for many species.