Wednesday, 5 February 2014

Bits and pieces.

I had my earliest butterfly ever yesterday with a Peacock sunning itself on the allotment - and it wasn't even that warm. Also had my fourth Skircoat record of Red Sword-grass on Jan.22nd resting openly on  a dry stone wall, as they all have been.

I've just started bring my Phyllonorycter mines indoors. I only started collecting them around Christmas so I'm not expecting anything unusual but there's lots of them so you never know. I'll send any parasitic wasps off for ID-ing so I might get something interesting in that lot.

Roll on spring :-)

3 comments:

Andrew Cockroft said...

Doing well with those red sword grass...how many's that..??Went into tunnel again today and found 25 Herald...no Tissue as yet.

charlie streets said...

I've now seen four locally from New Lane all the way on to Free School Lane and all were seen by by day. When you think that must represent a tiny fraction of the total population in quite a large area there may well be dozens if not hundreds breeding, presumably in people's gardens.

Andrew Cockroft said...

Keep looking along that wall but not seen one yet.There looks to be a tunnel that goes under the road to the shay ,keep meaning to go and have a look .Went out with torch and net last night and got Chestnut and a very nice melanic dotted Border.....