Saturday, 15 March 2014

Hardcastle Craggs - last night.(A beauty)

I think we all thought we were in for a quiet night when we set off in the cool, blustery conditions but it was surprisingly calm and quite mild in the craggs and the moths didn't disappoint.Present were Andy, Brian Martyn and myself.

Highlight for me were my first ever Yellow Horneds.

Andy did well to spot this Ypsolopha ustella resting high up in a Beech tree.

This red variety of Pine Beauty certainly lived up to it's name.

Micros were well represented on the night with pick of the bunch for me this Tortricodes alternella (Photographed at home).
Species recorded

2179 Panolis flammea Pine Beauty 1 1
2182 Orthosia cruda Small Quaker 1 1
2189 Orthosia munda Twin-spotted Quaker 5 5
2187 Orthosia cerasi Common Quaker 8 8
1659 Achlya flavicornis Yellow Horned 2 2
2258 Conistra vaccinii Chestnut 3 3
1934 Agriopis marginaria Dotted Border 2 2
461 Ypsolopha ustella  2       2
1025 Tortricodes alternella 3 3
1524 Emmelina monodactyla 1 1
2256 Eupsilia transversa Satellite 1 1
 

5 comments:

AndyC said...

A great night and nice to see Martyn and Charlie..cheers...whos up for a bagworm hunt.? next weekend if the weather is ok.??

Nick Carter said...

Really enjoying reading this blog, great to keep in touch with what you guys are up to. Best wishes from a, so far, fairly moth-less east coast.

charlie streets said...

Hi Nick, Andy and myself were talking about your move to the coast last night - I'd swap our moths for Filey and Flamborough any day, just think of all those rare immigrant moths you'll be getting this autumn, sooo jealous!

AndyC said...

The Pine Beauty is stunning...

Winston said...

I have never seen a pine beauty. Great pics Charlie, work kept me away :-( next time maybe. keep mothin