Thursday, 13 October 2016

Bagworms

Last Sunday I was out on a fungi foray with the Halifax Scientific Society - it was national fungi day. We walked from Shaw park at Holywell Green and along Holywell Brook with a drystone wall boundary along much of the path. A casual glance at the wall revealed a bagworm case which I was confident was Lichen Case-bearer as it's around 300 yards from the colony discovered in spring. Straight away other (non moth-ing) members of the group located more cases - they were easy to find! I took two cases home and was surprised to find they contained what appeared to be fully grown larvae.
It must be a widespread and common species in the Holywell Green area and deserves further study of its distribution.

3 comments:

AndyC said...

sems like a good spot ,how many have you seen all together in this area now,? Might be viewable all winter.??

charlie streets said...

Today I revisited the path we walked in spring Andy and there were cases everywhere. Every now and then I'd come across areas where there would be up to 8 cases visible in a tiny section of wall and on both sides of the same wall. I suppose they must disperse and get predated over winter to appear in the smaller numbers we saw them at in April but at the moment I would say they they number in to the hundreds on that one path alone!
Very locally abundant.

AndyC said...

I am very busy till November but would like to get a few of us up there in early November and get an estimate of numbers...