Many thanks to David hodson for this info
Friday, 25 January 2013
RE..Tissue and heralds
Herald moths go into caves, tunnels, old mines and old buildings to hibernate
and only in exceptional cases i.e. very cold snaps, will they move further into
the cave. Tissues on the other hand do not hibernate but go into periods of
torpor for a week or two but are active all winter. Heralds in a way are similar
to bats and often are covered in condensation droplets; this will stop the body
from dehydrating. I have been working on these two species for 10 years now and
have picked up all sorts of things and am trying to write it all up so will keep
you in touch. You ask if the Tissues feed and am currently working on this by
analysing the condensation water in caves looking for carbon in the form of
sugars and also the bacteria on the cave walls but it is a very slow job. If you
send me an address I will send you a paper I did for a field day a couple of
years ago if you like. I also think food plants may be other species as well as
what is written in books, I have yet to find a caterpillar. Best wishes David.
.....................
Many thanks to David hodson for this info
Many thanks to David hodson for this info
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Fascinating Stuff,theres so much we dont yet know .
Heard from his son today that the talk at Crosshills had to be cancelled and will be re arranged for a later date.
Post a Comment