Friday, 9 September 2016

Canary-shouldered Thorn moth, Ennomos alniaria.

This is a real prize for me, a first in our garden. A Canary shouldered Thorn - Ennomos alniaria. It was on our doorstep this morning, perfect for photography. It was cold and let me move it safely after I'd finished. I had to be quick, it started to vibrate its wings when I disturbed it. I had a vision of our cat Ruskin grabbing it.






6 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Wow that's a cracker and nice photos! Not seen one of those...yet...

AndyC said...

Great moths , not rare around here but very striking moths..

Gordon Jackson said...

Thanks David, the photos turned out well, I was pleased. Such a nice moth.

Andy, It's strange how whenever I read in books they say a moth is common, I end up wondering why I've not seen one yet.

AndyC said...

I think its because they get a lot of data from people who run moth traps . These lights draw in moths from a great distance ,, where as an outside light may get one or two a night / week in the UK...

Gordon Jackson said...

Ah, that will teach me to rely on 40 watt long life, low energy bulb!

Anonymous said...

Found this moth at our back door this morning. New to me. This is Scotland!