Afternoon,
I am planning to go to the green withens area or baitings area one night next month searching for Anomalous larva.
2 Questions :
Are there any records for the Rishworth Area?
And..
Are there tips that may help me other than searching on wavy hair grass and tufted hair grass ?
Edward
Monday, 20 January 2020
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
February is the best time to look ,Brian leesey and I have found them near Stoodley Pike and there are records from most of the valleys around Luddenden village and Midgley , so Im pretty sure they will be there , they like wavy hair grass on Rocky outcrops and much care should be taken when looking for them ..Its amazing how many larvae are out there on a cold feb evening....do not go if the temp is below freezing,,,I have seen anomalous larvae and snow at the same time..A good torch (and back up) and strong foot-ware is essential......
Thanks Andy would've expected the latter of your comment y.odd why they are out in Feb . Freezin . Cheers for that .
I found this on one of the Wildlife Trusts website - Wavy hair-grass "It is one of the foodplants of the caterpillar of the Wall Brown butterfly, which is classified as a Priority Species under the UK Post-2010 Biodiversity Framework."
I also found a bit where it said "the caterpillars can sometimes be found feeding on mild and sunny winter days" - don't know how true this is though ?????? or it might just be in the south ?
The only lplace I've seen a wall brown is Bempton clffs! I need to look for them in Calderdale. I know the spots just haven't got round to it. I'm only looking for anomalous larva at night in this case.
Also found LYU , Square spot rustic and Autumnal rustic larvae whilst looking for Anomalous..
Post a Comment