Thursday, 30 September 2021

Stainland,

I was very surprised to find a moth on the fanlight this morning. It wasn't there at 1am but was at 7am. Last night was wet, windy and cold, what a hardy little thing. It's a November moth (TBC).

The books say that it's hard to tell the difference between that and two other species. Photos of the other two that I looked at, look nothing like the specimen below. Please correct me if I got this wrong.

November moth TBC


2 comments:

AndyC said...

Yes November agg ...cart tell unless its looked at..

Gordon Jackson said...

Andy, OK, it's good enough for me. We are seriously short of pollinators in the world now. I'm not about to kill even one more creature, just to satisfy someones curiosity.

I walked out of advanced biology as a student, the day they brought a lovely, white rat in to dissect. We were told to handle the rats over a long period, until they got to trust us, then kill one when needed. I said that was so obscenely, disgustingly, human. I never went back, giving up one of my qualification chances. What were the words over Nazi concentration camps? Ah yes, I remember, "Work brings freedom". SPIT.