Tuesday, 9 June 2020

Butterfly cats for ID


I had a wander round Milner Royd NR yesterday and came across two caterpillar species feeding on nettles. My books aren't that great on butterfly larvae but I suspect they are Peacocks and Painted Lady (c25mm), can anyone confirm?

The management team mowed the majority of the meadow area last year presumably to remove the rank vegetation, mainly brambles, but with the dry spring, there is now little vegetation at all in many parts, hopefully this will correct itself when more normal rainfall comes.

6 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Hi Charlie. Pretty sure the top ones are Peacock but not sure about the other one. I have the Field Guide to Caterpillars but it's still not easy !!

charlie streets said...

Okay Dave thanks for having a go. I thought the yellow one might have been easier!

I may have to go back and re-find it and rear it through.....

Andy Greaves said...

Lower one looks like small tortoiseshell

charlie streets said...

Hi Andy,
Yes, I think you may be right. I re-found and collected them, the Small Tortoiseshell cat pupated overnight so I'll let you know what happens.

Andy Greaves said...

Cool thanks Charlie

charlie streets said...

Hi again Andy, the suspected Small Tortoiseshell hatched yesterday after a surprisingly short chrysalis stage and was indeed a Small Tortoiseshell. It gave a flash of its pristine upperwings on release never to be seen again.