Tuesday, 16 June 2020

Update....

Nothing too fantastic in the trap at the moment but 6 Elephant Hawkmoths was interesting (5 pictured)...Plenty of Peppered Moths , Bright line Brown eyes , CBB , Poplar Hawks Freyer's Pug Spectacle , Flame , Heart and Dart (a very good year) Beautiful Golden Y .. ..Plenty Silver Y and a few Diamond backed Moths...

Ghost Moth Lek last night saw up to 30 males  displaying

A Wood Tiger reported today at Cragg Vale (thanks Winston)

Has any one seen a COMMA or Holly Blue  in June...
So far there were more butterflies in MAy than June.!!!!
Ringlets , Gatekeeper , Small Skippers , Purple and White letter Hairstreaks  should all be out soon....

Red Admirals have been seen in good numbers this week.........


6 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Seen Comma also Meadow brown. Went to Holland lane on Sunday to look for common blue... I was only there 5min as I saw a male on t embankment of knapweed straight away...

AndyC said...

Thanks Edward.....

Gordon Jackson said...

So Andy, not much special eh? 6 Elephant Hawkmoths, and I've never seen one. Then you present a whole list of stuff, possibly as much as I see in a year. There's nothing Like rubbing it in! (Only Kkidding.

As for more butterflies in My that June, It's to be expected. May was a fantastic moth for warmth and sunshire. So far, June is something of a washout. For a good number of years now, if April and May are warm and sunny, June has been grey, cold and rainy. I monitor it. June is my birth month. I like it to be sunny. Spring is the new summer, we have to adjust to it.

David Sutcliffe said...

4 on 2nd June for Holly Blue - Oats Royd, near Holmfield. No Comma's in June.

AndyC said...

Thanks Dave ...you know that hurts...

David Sutcliffe said...

Ah ....but I haven't had a Large Blue ..