Tuesday, 16 June 2020

Soil Hill

Few insect bits from Soil Hill in the last couple of days. Two Four-spot Chasers today, one fresh emergance and this stunning praenublia individual. Likely had one two days ago as well but was fighty and couldn't confirm it to be this species. This is my 7th Odonata species on Soil Hill. Lots of ovipositing Azure and Large Red Damselflies as well over the weekend.
Common Blue, Small Heath, Large Skipper, Red Admiral, Small Tortoiseshell, Peacock, Painted Lady and Small Copper all been around in the last week or so. Also Small Magpie Moth
-Four-spot Chaser (f. praenubila)
-Azure Damselflies

5 comments:

AndyC said...

Excellent , love the Azure photo...There have been a couple of reports of Emperors last week one at Cromwell and one from Hollas Bridge.....Are there a lot of Common Blues..??

David Sutcliffe said...

Great shots Daniel

Daniel Branch said...

I've only seen two Common Blues so far. Small Heath is comfortably the most common butterfly there at the moment. There was also an Emperor on Soil Hill last week.

AndyC said...

I think Small Heath is abundant this year I have never seen as many , also Large Skippers , Green Hairstreaks(not on Soil Hill , I searched all the heather many times , did you see any .!!)and Peacocks.
Meadow Browns and second generation Small Tortoiseshells out this last few days in big numbers.......there is a lot of Birds foot trefoil for Common Blues might get some more yet......

Daniel Branch said...

No I never managed Green Hairstreak up there, although I saw quite a few around Ogden Golf Course and Ovenden Moor earlier in the spring. Green Tiger Beetles were also really common, which I can't say I noticed when I visited in the past.