On the 19th July 2008 , I found my first White letter Hairstreak in my local wood at Northowram , there is only one Elm surrounded by lots of Oak....for the last 10 years I have looked and looked on the elm for another and i have not seen one.....Until today that is....it was a great day for butterflys one of those days you think of in the depths of winter...5 Commas , 30 + Small Tortoiseshell , 10 Small White , Small and Large Skippers 1 Gatekeeper , Large Whites , Ringlets and Meadow browns in the grass and my first 6 Purple Hairstreaks flitting about in the tops of Oaks. As I got to the said Elm i noticed Hair streaks flitting about. I stopped and started to watch very closely what was going on.
As the Purple Hairstreaks flew over the Elm the White letters flew up and moved the Purples on , (I had obviously forgotten my camera ) , I reckon there were at least 5 White Letter Hairstreaks and 10 Purples flying in the baking hot sunshine along the side of the wood......................
WLH update 17.18
Spot the Hairstreak
Always turning to the sun
Bingo
Headed back to try and get a photo and anyone who has tried to photo hairstreaks knows its not an easy job ......unless they are feeding on thistles .......
White - letter Hairstreaks x 8
Purple Hairstreaks x 12
Red Admiral x 1
Gatekeeper x 1
Holly Blue x 1
Comma x 5
Small Tortoiseshell x 50 +
Small White x 11
Large White x 10
Meadow Brown x 30 +
Ringlet x 20 +
Small Skipper x 1
Large Skipper x 2
Speckled Wood x 3
Silver Y x 1
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
You picked the right day for the elm and the oaks. A good do there Andy.
No ‘purps’ here yet and I’ve spent hours watching at the back !
Nice work Andy . have you considerred a drone for christmas :-) imagine what you could do
I have found them on the slopes of sunnyvale where there is amongst the Oak a fair bit of Wych Elm. This is the closset opportunity for imaging them nectaring that you will get this year as they will feed from thistle when the the sticky aphid dew is dry or hardened in weather like this . Purple Hairstreaks will also move to the lower or mid sections of any Tree for the same reason ie the shaded dew is likely damp or still liquid I have also seen them at railway terrace
Post a Comment