Wednesday, 17 July 2019

Stainland.

Three new to me moths today Common Wainscot and MAYBE (I hope) is Anania crocealis  (TBC) and three things needing and ID.

After Andy's ID of the second moth below, I've renamed the moth.Thanks Andy.

And yet another common moth I've not seen before. It's the first wainscot I've encountered, I was pleased to find it.

Common Wainscot.

I can't really think that the one below is what I suspect. Searching online and Manley's it's the best fit I could come up with. I did a crop of it, (rare for me) as I'm puzzled about what is curled over it's  head. It's the same colour as the moth, but I don't see it as a palp. If it's a proboscis, it's very big and looks square. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Small Fanfoot

Small Fanfoot.

I'm sorry to say that after almost 3 hours searching, I gave up on this. It's just a brown moth. After a while. most micros in Manley's looked just like it. (Brain Fade).

ID NEEDED.

Last night sat in the garden, I spotted the next image on our honeysuckle. I went to look and a very, small, mid brown caterpillar was peeping out at the bottom of it's den. As soon as I got near it, it shot back in at a speed which surprised me. I've not seen it today as yet. Two views of the cocoon, if that's the right name for it. The second is blurred, sorry. I didn't find anything on the Net.

On honeysuckle.

ID Needed.


Also, but no photos are here today:

4 x Marbled Beauties.
2 x Common Footman.
2 x Light Brown Apple.
1 x Small Magpie. (Very Worn).
1 x Riband Wave Banded. (My first this year).
2 x of the pale micro above, which needs an ID.

Not a bad find today. it's amazing what a little warm weather does.

4 comments:

AndyC said...

Fanfoot / small fanfoot....

Gordon Jackson said...

Thank you Andy. Of course it is, now I've a clear head.

charlie streets said...

Those are palps curving back over it's head.

Gordon Jackson said...

Charlie, Palps! They mus be able to smell food and females for 20 miles away.