Tuesday, 9 July 2019

Stainland.

I should have put this in the post with the Eve's Top quarry photos. I forgot.

See Colin's comments about the web below. I've changed the name/ID under the image to suit.

I thought it was a spiders web for eggs. Then I saw Colin's post about butterfly webs. It has to be one of those. It had several ripe grass seed heads wrapped in it and was roughly 2 inches long. The poor butterfly must have been exhausted. Not only did she lay the eggs, she then started to build a nest for them, incredible.

Given the number of Ringlets and Meadow Browns, it must to be one of those two that made it. I wonder if I can find it again? It would be nice to see them hatching.

Pisaura mirabilis -
Nursery Spider Web.

2 comments:

Colin D said...

Spider - Pisaura mirabilis - Nursery Web Spider
http://www.ukwildlife.net/spiders/nursery_web_spider.htm
Caterpillars in the case of lepidoptera make the webs and in the case of the last post a Communal Web in the Peacock Butterfly

Gordon Jackson said...

Thank you Colin. My first thoughts upon finding the web were correct after all. I keep telling myself to trust my intuition. I don't do it half as much as I should.