I'm not sure about the first moth, I think it maybe a Dark Arches. If it is, it's the first I've ever seen. Yet another, "wide spread and common" one I've never seen before. As I opened the door, it flew in. I took it outside after the photos. Would someone ID it please?
Dark Arches. TBC.
I was very pleased to find the next one. I've only seen one before, 3 or 4 years ago. Such a pretty moth.
Clouded Beauty.
My first Blastobasis sp of the year.
Blastobasis lacticolella.
I was excited when I saw the next one, I couldn't believe it's colour, it's lovely. I looked on line at photos of Marbled Beauties. Sure enough there are several photos of them in this colour scheme. Also, I found an even bigger variety of colours than I was aware of. I don't know how I missed that. Now I want to find one of the white and brown ones, and then one of the... and...
Also on line, I came across a nice little example of a Marbled beauty against a different backgrounds and one under a different light source. Amazing things moths:
https://www.animal.photos/moth/moth-marb.htm
Marbled Beauty.
Also found last night but no photos:
Marbled Beauty x 2 more.
Light Brown Apple x 1.
Brimstone x 1.
Common Footman x 2.
Light Emerald x 1 (Possible). I was only 18 inches from it. Under the artificial light it looked white. As soon as it saw the camera it was off. Followed by rude words from me.
Finally, I came a cross a very interesting article about moth camouflage. I'm going to read it again in a minute or two.
https://www.microcosmic.info/2016/07/moth-camouflage.html




No comments:
Post a Comment