I was making the most
of the warm weather this morning in North Dean when I came across a group of
Birch Polypore fungi. No, I haven’t posted on the wrong blog for on the
underside, where the pores are, were three frass filled holes which may or may
not be lepidopterous, hopefully time will tell. If they are I’m assuming it
will be one of the Tineids, possibly Cork Moth but maybe something a little
less commonly recorded such as Nemapogon clematella. I think it will be
worthwhile looking out for more in the next few weeks as I suspect they may be
quite common – I only found four brackets today (on Silver Birch) two of which
contained holes. It may be worth checking other bracket species as well. Happy hunting!
Wednesday, 10 April 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just to update things; there were no larvae present so probably last year's workings.
Post a Comment