Several things prevented me from putting this post up sooner. I was up at Ogden on Back Lane, on the 24th of May. It's about 30 years since I was on that particular path. It was very sunny and breezy, with cool wind in the shade. Because of the stiff breeze, I was surprised to see butterflies on the wing.
I counted :
9 Small Whites. Too flighty to get photos of.
5 Orange Tips. Too far away to photograph.
1 Small Heath.
I don't remember seeing a Small Heath before. I stalked it for several minutes, all I could get was the photo below. I'd have liked to get it with wings open. I did get quite a sun tan though.
I heard my first cuckoo this year at White Wall End. Also, Skylark, Curlew (I love its call), Red Grouse, Blackbird, Jackdaw, Magpie, Chiffchaff Chaffinch, Wren, Starling, Sparrows and Long tailed tit. I only mentioned them for completion, Really it was for the cuckoo, I haven't heard many in the last few years.
Small Heath.

No comments:
Post a Comment