Thursday, 6 May 2021

Lee Mount - unexpected surprise !

Last year I managed to collect eggs from a Lesser Swallow Prominent
Eggs laid - 27th April 2020
Eggs hatched - 14th May ( I raised the caterpillars on birch leaves till they pupated)
4 adults emerged 27th July 2020
7 pupa did not produce anything but were still intact so I re-potted in an ice cream box with compost and left them in the garden hut overwinter.

This morning - an adult (2 images below) had emerged overnight - wonder if there are another 6 to come ? - I'll wait and see !
Lesser Swallow Prominent


I find it strange that they were all collected at the same time last year and all received the same treatment - some emerged last July and one (so far) emerged overnight and photographed this morning.


Also, this quite cold morning, Jen managed to find just one Green Hairstreak on Castle Carr Road resting on a roadside mossy wall.

Green Hairstreak


1 comment:

Edward Evans said...

Superb! Sound a bit like plants don't they, decide to germinate later than others even after the same treatment.