This is a list of the moths by our door, from 26th July to 4th August 2024.
I've been going through what the Chinese call, "interesting times". The phrase is, "May you live in interesting times." It's said as a wish for someone to have a lot of trouble. I'm certainly having that!
A significant section of my studio ceiling collapsed some weeks ago, the amount of dust and lime wash powder was incredible. Fortunately, most of my equipment was covered in plastic sheets. That's the trouble with Victorian houses, you spend a small fortune over many years, making sure the place is in as good a condition as you can. Then something goes badly wrong without warning. I've been trying to do as much as I can to repair it myself. Unfortunately. The dust has got the better of my, in spite of dust masks. Then my health gave up the fight. I've been quite ill for weeks, I'm recovering now if slowly.
Anne has been a big help with my moth recording. She and I counted what we had and shared the IDing. There are gaps, where she was too busy and I too ill, to record on those days. Still, l here are our efforts. There are a few moths which need confirmation, or an ID, but not many. Some of these photos are not as good as I 'd have liked. At the moment, I don't trust myself to climb ladders.
Now to the stars of the show...
Thanks to Andy for the corrections. Now if anyone can ID the last moth....
24 to 1st August 2024 Moths By Door
If some kind person, or people, could ID the moths marked below, I'd be grateful, Thanks.
24 JULY
14 x Marbled Beauties
1 x Eudonia lacustrata
1x Bee Moth - Female
1 x Small Phoenix
1 x Antler Moth (Unable to get a photo.)
1 x Sycamore
1 x Willow Beauty
18 x Marbled Beauties
1 x Common Footman
1 x Bee Moth
1 x Blastobasis lacticolella
1 x Eudonia lacustrata
1 x Riband Wave, none banded
1 x Small Magpie
1 x Single Dotted Wave
29 JULY
2 x Common Footman
1 x Riband Wave, none banded
1 x Small Magpie
1 x Garden Pebble

1 x 22 Marbled Beauties (22 of them, it's my personal record. The most I've ever had before, was 13.)
2 x Riband Waves, none banded
1 x Scalloped Oak (I think this is a lovely moth, with a very graphic design.)

31 July 2024
20 x Marbled Beauty
1 x Eudonia lacustrata
19 x Marbled Beauties
1 x Shuttle-shaped Dart - Female (I despaired of ever seeing one of these. I'm very pleased.)

3
Aug.
9 x Marbled Beauties
1 x Blastobasis lacticolella
1x Rustic or Chestnut TBC (best try)
4 August.
10 x Marbled Beauties (These have been falling off steadily over a few days.)
OK, I’m up to date with my records, (at last!) Have a nice summer, it's going to be warm again by Tuesday next week.




2 comments:
Sycamore , Willow Beauty , Garden Pebble and Bee Moth..
Anndy
Thanks Andy. I thought about bee moth. it's the obvious one, I didn't find one so dark. However, the almost black colour and the light pink is patches lead me to the Stored Nut Moth. Having read how it was brought into the UK and thought that, as there are quite a few importers from Asian countries round here there was a change . This isn't a racist by the way, I have several Pakistani friends and I speak some Urdu. Thanks
for the corrections.
Post a Comment