Having never seen any of the boldly patterned tigers before I hit a fantastic purple patch back in April.
On the 26th I found a Wood Tiger larva on Midgley moor (above) and three days later I found a Scarlet Tiger larva nearly on my doorstep at Skircoat Green (below). It was feeding on Green Alkanet and was one of three found, the second was in my front doorway, in their final instar they can disperse to feed on other plants!
Both species were collected and then, late May and in to June both successfully made it to adults - an amazing little rearing project.




3 comments:
They are a bit special Charlie. Patience rewarded.
Brilliant stuff Charlie! I always wondered where mine had come from, now we know it was probably from Calderdale, what fantastic breeding records.
Fantastic to record both species , Scarlet Tiger....is a wow moth
Post a Comment