Wednesday, 11 November 2015

Lee Mount and Shibden Head 10th and 11th November

An interesting couple of days...
Yesterday (10th Nov) there was a Beautiful Plume first thing on some Lobelia which is still flowering in the outside planters .
Then Andy tipped me off about a site at Shibden Head where it was possible to find wintering/hibernating Herald Moths. I had never seen them before so this morning I decided to head up there and was thrilled to find 6 (including 3 together) on the roof of a tunnel.
These were the best photo's I could get in the circumstances - but I was well satisfied.



Also in this lower photo - a wintering Peacock Butterfly, a Herald and 2 spiders - it's a wonder the moths and butterflies don't fall victim to these small predators !! - or maybe they do (??)

And this evening with the light on in the house I found 1 November Moth agg and 2 Light Brown Apple Moths on the windows. I understand this latter species was originally from Australia and first recorded in Britain in 1936.!

5 comments:

AndyC said...

Nice post dave ,,,when it gets cold ie freezing there will be plenty more heralds in the tunnel..always worth a look for 'The Tissue @as well...

Chris said...

Were those cave spiders?

Dave Sutcliffe said...

No idea Chris - I'm not into spiders !!! Yet ...
Will try get some better shots of them next time I go up there.

Dave Sutcliffe said...

Chris - I found this on Cave Spiders on the Internet "M. menardi produces a large orb web, but usually resides on the wall of its habitat. Prey items include hibernating Lepidoptera, mosquitoes, slugs, isopods, millipedes and beetles (Smithers 1996; Cropper 1997).

brian leecy said...

Be interesting see how many overwinter this Year,and hopefully maybe another Tissue !!