Its been a great Year for Fox Moth Caterpillars.Having never found any over the Years at Langfield only Emperor/Northern Eggar Caterpillars,i found lots this Year in Sept/Oct.I noticed this one quite active and not feeding which looked typical for a Caterpillar searching for a spot to Pupate,but as i looked more closely i noticed at least three tiny Grubs/Maggots possibly from a Parasitic Fly or Wasp !! Dont think any Fox Moth will be emerging from this Caterpillar next Year ! Nature Eh.
Friday, 6 November 2015
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Gruesome,,,I hope some are pest free...............
Interesting... Will double check any caterpillars I find next year as don't think they will still be about on our moors now though we did find one active cat on the Northumberland coast last week
Interesting post Brian , possibly a Tachnid Larvae, I have seen them also on Shieldbugs as eggs but the only way to know is to rear them
Post a Comment