Saturday, 22 June 2019

Cold Edge and Ovenden Moor

I did the Wider Countryside Butterfly Survey late morning around the usual Tetrad. It was reasonably warm but not really enough sunshine. I ended up with more day-flying moths than butterflies but both were good even if the butt's were in short supply.
Painted Lady x 1
Small Heath x 6
Green-veined White x 2
Small Copper x 1

Timothy Tortrix x 1
Common Carpet x 1
Common Heath x 3
Cinnabar x 1
Chimney Sweeper x 1

Same species Pug x 2 near The Withens former pub - photo's below for scrutiny. 

Very small pugs (second individual not very good photo) - both were flying when the sun shone, both feeding on small white flowers ! Nearest I can get is Marsh Pug.......any thoughts ?







4 comments:

AndyC said...

Common/Field Mouse ear is food plant of Marsh Pug...looks bang on ...fantastic record

AndyC said...

Confirmed by Brian Hancock...only second Calderdale record after Charlies last year at Copley meadows. It may well have a decent population in Calderdale as the Mouse ear sp are pretty common...

David Sutcliffe said...

I was looking for last years post from Charlie but must have missed it. There could be a lot more around but they are pretty small and could easily be missed. This week doesn’t look a good week weather wise for looking for some more but I’ll give it a go when I get chance. The ones at The Withens were at 400m elevation so they could be anywhere !!

AndyC said...

Yes as Copley meadows must be just above sea level...