Had a pleasant wander around Carr Hall lane and Gosport clough yesterday looking mainly for leaf mines and fungi - needless to say there were plenty of both about.
As I expected there were a few Lichen Case-bearer (Dahlica lichenella) cases around although I didn't spend too much time looking for them. A Lime Hawkmoth larva was a nice surprise speeding along on a wall underneath what is possibly the only Lime tree on the walk! Too fast for photos in the dull weather sadly.
Best leaf mines were four Dark Hornbeam Midget (Phyllonorycter esperella) mines on Hornbeam by Holywell Brook. An upperside blotch which eventually folds the leaf right over. They were all tenanted so hopefully the couple I took to rear will produce adults next spring.
One of several Brown Birch Boletes under a birch tree in Shaw Park.
A few Parrot Waxcaps were found all of which exhibited green on some part of the fruit body - always a favourite of mine.




3 comments:
Looks like you had an interesting outing Charlie. I must start to look out for some'mines'.
It's the only way to record dozens of species you'll probably never get at light traps.
I'd take people on a leaf mining "workshop" but I can pretty much guess at the response :-(
Its a good idea Charlie...well worth a go..sure you will get a few people interested..Parrot wax cap is an interesting looking species....
Post a Comment