Monday, 16 November 2020

Leaf Mines and Cases on Juncus

A wander round on Kennel Lane at Soyland searching various trees still with leaves I found various still tenented and empty mines on Birch, Hazel, Rose and Ash. My ancient camera decided it was time to die so no photos this time sadly :( Species Phyllonorycter messaniella Phyllonorycter nicellii Stigmella anomalella I also found various mines on Oak which to be certain of species I will try and rear through over winter in plant pots covered with "pop socks" and hopefully get some adults emerge next year. I also found some patches of Rush with a few scattered cases on the seed heads still, these I suspect are Coleophora alticolella but could possibly be Coleophora glaucicolella and as I simply dont have time yet to tease out the larva from the cases to check I will again try and rear these through. I have to admit not having done any leaf mining for years (or any mothing for that matter ) I am enjoyinmg the roming round looking for species rather than running my MV trap which is still in a box waiting to be unpacked at my new house. Hopefully I will be able to sort out a new camera soon and be able to post some images of my various trips out over winter seeing what I can find using Ben Smarts superb Micro Moth Field Tips book.

2 comments:

AndyC said...

Yes its a great little book...not used it enough yet..

Goldon Gordon said...

I use it along with Tutts Monthly Field tips, The Emmet guide to the smaller british lepidoptera to plan out what to look for for each month. Then is browse the web time on my return home :)