Wednesday, 17 March 2021

First of the Year

Just two moths in the trap last night here at Lower Burnt Moor

1 Yellow Horned Achlya flavicornis,

1 Brindled Beauty Lycia hirtaria

This is the 7th time I have run the trap this year and the first moths in the trap last night at last.

4 comments:

AndyC said...

Looking better from now on...its been a very slow start to March..Not like being at Park Road when your almost in the wood.....its hard going away from woodland in the winter months...

Edward Evans said...

Great Brindled Beauty, I'm not too far away and I'd never dream of seeing one! Great job!

Goldon Gordon said...

I posted the wrong moth yesterday DOH! Correct record in MM but posted wrong species on the blog its should have read Oak Beauty Biston strataria not Brindled Beauty.

Apologies to all for the cock up

Goldon Gordon said...

Andy just shows you how the memory can play tricks. I just checked for the 16 March 2001 at Park Road and I had 2 moths of two species. So no better than up here on'tops, and I would have bet money I was getting many more species and in much greater numbers than that. Best night in March that year was 86 Moths of 12 Species on 30th Msrch.

Though I do remember one night when Ian Kimber, Martin Tordoff and I ran the trap up in Park Wood in March (cannot remember the year) and recorded around 400 Common Quaker + other spring species in about 3 hours. I was using a 500watt MV bulb in the trap as an expriment on that night to see if attracted more moths but to be honest I did not bother again with the larger bulb as I dont think it made any differance in the habitats I trapped in.

BTW Anyone who lives near Park wood, its a great site for daytime searching of trunks and leaves. If you start at the mainly aspen woodland at the edge of the park and playing field and work you way up through the woods its easy to bag quite a few micros both adult and larval stages. Its astonishing just how many micros you find resting on trunks daytime, some that I never got to light despite my garden backing into the woodland.