Saturday, 18 September 2021

Stainland. 23 Aug '21 to 18 Sept '21.

I have a backlog of moth records, (again!). I've had a rotten few months of ill heath. It keeps sneeking up on me, just when I think I'm recovering. Oh well, it will all go away at some point. Each day I took photos, when possible, putting them in dated folders. I've just spent the best part of two days IDing them. One or two below need IDs please.

 

23 Aug.
1 x Square-spot Rustic - Xestia xanthographa
2 x Marbled Beauties (1 Light brown, 1 Grey)
1 x Willow Beauty
1 x Snout (I think this is the best shot Ive taken of a Snout. I thought I'd post it.)

Snout

25 Aug. 2021
2x Riband Wave - Non Banded (One worn)
1 x Square-spot Rustic
2 x Small Phoenix

26 Aug 2021 
1 x Garden Carpet 
1 x Blastobasis adastra

28th Aug 2021
1 x Common Marbled Carpet – Orange Baise
1 x Garden Carpet
1 x Mother Of Pearl (I didn't understand how the moth got it's name, until I took this photo. It ranks as one of my two best moth finds this year. For me, that is.)
1 x Blastoasis lacticolella
1 x Lesser Yellow Underwing
 
Mother Of Pearl

29 Aug 2021
4 x Blastobasis adastra
1 x Blastobasis lacticolella
1 x Square-Spot Rustic
1 x Garden Carpet
 
2 Sept 2021
1 x Centre Barred Sallow
2 x Lesser Yellow Underwing
1 x Garden Carpet
 
5 Sept 2021
2 x LBA
1 x Eudonia lacustrata
1 x Small Phoenix
1 x Garden Carpet
1 x Common Marbled Carpet – Orange Blaise
1 x Common Marbled Carpet (Brown Band at Bottom of Wings)
 
Common Marbled Carpet
 
6 Sept 2021
1x Square-spot Rustic

 Also, probably left from day before.
1 x Common Marbled Carpet - Brown Band at Bottom of Wings
1 x Common Marbled Carpet – Orange Blaise
1 x LBA 
 
7 Sept 2021
1 x Canary Shouldered Thorn (From a couple of days ago)
1 x Twenty Plume
2 x LBA
2 x Straw Dot
1 x Dark Brown smallish moth (Poor photo, needs an ID if possible)
1 x Blastobasis l
1 x Rosy Rustic
1 x Twenty Plume

ID needed please

8 Sept 2021
2 x Common Marbled Carpet (Both with brown band bottom of wings)
1 x The Brown moth above, from days before
 
9 Sept 2021
2 x Small Phoenix (Found in the hall. Photo added to brighten up this long list)
2 x Common Marbled Carpet (One orange blaise, one with dark brown band)
1 x LBA
1 x Bird Cherry Ermine
 
Small Phoenix

10 Sept 2021
1 x Small Phoenix
2 x Garden Carpet  (One with brownish patches, one with grey ones)
1 x Frosted Orange (My second favouite find of this year)

Frosted Orange

11 Sept 2021
1 x Garden Carpet
1 x Angle Shades (I thought I'd show the Angle Shades cose-up, as a change)

Angle Shades, detail
 
12 Sept 2021
1 x Edonia lacustrata
1 x Rosy Rustic


Rosy Rustic
 
13 Sept 202
1 x Common Marbled Carpet - Orange Blaise
1 x Rosy Rustic (From day before, identical markings)

18 Sept 2021
1 x Garden Carpet - Orange Balise
1 x Snout (Battle scarred)
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


 







4 comments:

AndyC said...

Both Rosy Rustic...

David Sutcliffe said...

Wow - you have a nice list there Gordon and some nice photos too. Really quiet here last couple of weeks - can't compete !!!!

Peter Smith said...

I don't know the first thing about moths, but I think your photos are superb. The Mother of Pearl is 'Something Else'.

Gordon Jackson said...

Andy. Thank you for the correction. I've changed the entry for them both.

David: I'm amazed at the number and variety of moths I've had this year. I've had quite a few "firsts" as well.

Peter: Thank you so much for the very flattering comment! I have a dedicated Macro camera, as well as a "workhorse" one. The Macro has a very fine Macxro lens made by Leica. It wasn't cheap but it is superb. A good lens makes all the difference in the world.