Monday, 23 February 2009

Grass Tip for Charly




391 Cocksfoot Moth Glyphipterix simpliciella




I searched the old last years flowering stems of cock's foot (Dactylis glomerata), up the lane from the caravan today and found several showing the chracteristic holes in the stem (see photo) which is made by the larva before it pupates to facilitate its emergence as an adult later in the year. I find the holes are usually between 4 and 12 inches from the top of the stem. If you are not sure of the grass; its the big clumps you see with large dead stems emerging from the center, see top photo. I found this species in Calderdale but usually in a sheltered spot, not if the plant was in an exposed situation. If you want to rear them through; just stick some occupied stalks (they should all be pupa by now) into some florists dry oasis and pop them into a plastic jar (Dobsons sweet shop in Elland will give you as many as you want) and pop some old tights or pop sock over the top and the adults should emerge around May/June.

1 comment:

charlie streets said...

Paul, I keep meaning to gen up on grass ID but never seem to make a serious attempt somehow - I'm fancy one of those field trips that Andy mentioned organised by the Bradford botanical group, I would probably learn more in a couple of hours than I would all year gazing at web sites and books.

I was wondering if is it possible to find any elachista species at the moment on grass or is it better to wait a couple of months.It's not a group I'm that familiar with having just found a couple of "triatomeas" in the past.