Saturday, 30 November 2013

Winter Moth spectacular..............................

A mild night so decided to take the dog for a walk down the woods, I have had 3 / 4 winter moths round the house this week so on my way out I  grabbed the head torch just in case..As I entered the woods a moth flew past me and then another soon after,, within 10 paces I had seen 11.I stopped at the first Beech tree and started to look for females,I counted 46 males but could not locate a female .The next tree 23 males no females the third tree had 75 males and 6 females....wow... by this time, as I walked between the trees the  night was full of Winter moths flying around. .Every tree was covered in Winter Moths  most around the base and up to 6 feet but on some they went so far up I could not count them. I went round at least 45 trees, a mix of  90% Beech, 5% Oak and 5 % Sycamore every single  tree had winter moths on it , I counted at least 2400 +.( I only had time to do a small bit of the wood there must have been over  10,000 if the rest of the woodif it  was the same on each tree .??) I have never seen anything like it before with the most being about 50 at the craggs....

No comments: