Monday, 28 May 2018

Cromwell Bottom LNR - 0152 Cauchas rufimitrella ABH 7.010

Sun 27th May 2018

This small micro a Longhorn with rufous head was found nectarring on Garlic Mustard by the Calder . The larvae feed within the seed pods .

It shouldnt be confused with the smaller Micropterix calthella ( also with a red head but shorter antennae  ) usually found on buttercup which has mouth parts capable of taking pollen


IMG_3243xx

IMG_3238xx

IMG_3233xx

IMG_3230xx

IMG_3220xx


5 comments:

charlie streets said...

Well spotted there Colin, being so tiny they're easily overlooked as diptera.

Do you have any good sites for Micropterix (Calthella) species. I have a possible one for M.aureatella but haven't started searching yet with everything being late.

Colin D said...

Hello Charlie

I read your your om your micro site I imaged calthella were the path splits on the way to the bird feeders at CB but there is so mucvh creeping buttercup I think they are common through out Interesting to see your larvae finds emerge very imporant work

C

charlie streets said...

Okay Colin, I'll have a look round sometime soon - if you or anyone else fancies a day trip out on the reserve sometime drop me a line.

Colin D said...

That would be good Charlie. I am trying to arranage something for those interested perhaps this year on something fairly special etc Its been quite difficult this year getting the trap out with no RM Van more to follow

charlie streets said...

Okay Colin keep us posted - so long as the mosquitos aren't out :-(