Wednesday, 20 March 2019

Bagworm success

Well kind of. On my way up to Norland yesterday I found this lichen covered tube at Hollas Lane. It's 20mm long, silk-lined and although mainly adorned in lichen there's about a 20% frass covering. I'm assuming it has to be Silver-barred Clothes Moth (Infurcitinea argentimaculella).
Much as I like the English names for micros this one's a real stinker as the larva feed on Lepraria lichens and NOT clothes!

3 comments:

Colin D said...

what is the small egg like structure above it Charlie ??? Its too small to be a Potato .

AndyC said...

I am sure Brian has taken a photo of something similar recently...

charlie streets said...

Your guess is as good as mine Colin, I have enough trouble trying to identify lepidopterous objects let alone potato-like things :-)

Andy, yes I think Brian mentioned it to me one time - tell him to use library PCs if he's having trouble getting on tinternet, be nice to stay in regular contact with him.