Friday, 6 August 2021

Stainland. Part two of 14th July to 6th August moth record.

This post has been amended after Edward and David kindly corrected some of my faulty IDs. Thank you.

Sorry for the delay, I had a bit of a dip in my health. I know you were all waiting with baited breath, for the next installment of my cliff hanger.

There are a few here which I'd be grateful if someone could either verify, or correct them please.

There is always the possibility of some moths staying here for a day or two, (or five!). I try to check their markings or wing conditions but the odd one may slip through. During the day, almost all the moths disappear, to return in the evening, or the following eveing sometimes.

23rd of July.

1 x Beautiful Plume

1 x Common Footman

1 x Willow Beauty

4 x Marbled Beauties

 

25th July

2 x Small fanfoot wave

2 x Willow Beauties - One quite badly damaged, poor thing

1 x Edonia lacustrata

2 x Phoenix

Phoenix
 
27th July
 
1 x Muslin Footman  - A first for me, a nice moth
1 x Willow Beauty
1 x Lesser Broad Borderd Underwing
1 x Blastobasis adustella - My first this year, they seem very sparse.
1 x Common Wainscot
1 x Unknown, photo attached. I don't suppose it can be ID'd,, but I thought it's long antennae might be a clue. It was about 10 feet away, taken with a telephoto lens.
 
 
28th July 2021
4 x Marbled Beauties
1 x Willow Beauty
1 x Yellow Shell - This is the best photo of one that I've taken, they really are lovely.
 
 Yellow Shell

31st July

1 x Small Phoenix
1 x Rivulet - Another first for me

Rivulet

 2nd August

1 x Small Phoenix
1 x Willow Beauty
I usually only see one Small Phoenix per year. This year, like so many species, I've had quite a few, all in different states of repair.


3rd August

1 x Udea lutealis
1 x Small Magpie
1 x Dark Arches

Dark Arches


4th August

3 x Lesser Broad Borderd Underwing - First time I've seen one flying, amazing colour
1 x Brimstone 
1 x Udea lutealis - Darker the the other one in thos post. Only the fourth I've seen, the first was in Whitby.
1 x Udea prunalis
1 x Willow Beauty
1 x Blastobasis lacticolella
1 x Common White Wave
 
Common White Wave

2 x Lesser Broad Borderd Underwing

5th August

2 x Willow Beauties
2 x Marbled  Beauties 
1 x Brimstone

6th August

1 x Willow Beauty
1 x Small Phoenix
1 x Marbled Beauty
1 x Agriphila tristella - Common Grass-veneer TBC. I'm not very good with this species. I think I       got it right.
 
Agriphila tristella Common Grass-veneer TBC


Right, I'm up to date now. It's been trying for me, I'm going to rest for the afternoon. (Poor old sod!)





 



4 comments:

Edward Evans said...

I don't know the carpet, sorry, but I think that the Dusky Brocade is a dark arches and the wave may be Common White Wave. Nice Muslin Footman and Rivulet.

David Sutcliffe said...

Quite a list there. Red-twin spot Carpet is a Phoenix, Gordon.

AndyC said...

Yes to tristella

Gordon Jackson said...

Andy, thsnks, As I said, I seem to have problems with this type of moth. It's nice to get one right!