Friday, 27 March 2020

Stainland.

I have my first moth of the season. I'm fairly sure it's a Grey Shoulder Knot. (It's actually an Early Grey, thanks Andy) .I looked at my past shots of Early Greys, it's didn't quite look like any of them. It's about 3/4 of an inch nose to tail. I'm quite happy to be corrected.

Anne and I also saw one Small Tortoiseshell, whist we were out walking, it was the only butterfly we saw, I'd have expected more. It's still a little on the cold side however.

Early Grey.

8 comments:

AndyC said...

Early Grey.

David Sutcliffe said...

Nice moth Gordon

Gordon Jackson said...

Thank you Andy and thank you David. I looked at my old shots of Early Greys. They seemed to have far more variegation in the marks. I was really confused. Anne said, "So what's new you daft old sod?" Hmmmm...

Edward Evans said...

Yes. They are nice moths. Not as early as some other moths despite the name!

Gordon Jackson said...

Edward,you are right of course. Still, I was excited, sad man that I am. My 1st moth of the year. I seldom have, "visitors" to the door, until all the flowers in the garden bloom. It's a little like wining a prize. Oh dear, I really am sad."

Edward Evans said...

Don't worry Gordon you are just enthusiastic about your hobbies like you should be!

Edward Evans said...

When I got my first moth of the year it felt like winning a prize. It is interesting as that I believe is the first Early Grey in Calderdale this year as most other moths this year have been Quaker species. Aren't moths brilliant. It's the sense of not knowing what you'll get that lives in your area, it's rare, i.e grey shoulder knot in Calderdale even better I must say this is probably one of the best hobbies. (No favpuritism to wildlife there.. definitely)...

Edward Evans said...

I meant favouritism mispelt againn... Sigh even more