Wednesday, 7 October 2020

Autumn so far....

 I don't know about anyone else, but Autumn here in Rishworth has been very poor. I have had no Sallows apart from 1 Centre Barred Sallow and Orange Sallow in August. I have added a right truckload of species to my list, e.g Small Autumnal Moth, but species from last year, other than Rosy Rustic and Common Marbled Carpet, have been quite patchy. I don't know if it is general decrease in trapping nights due to busier days combined with bad weather. Any thoughts comments are welcome.

12 comments:

AndyC said...

Every year is different , but this year seems to have been very slow, it may be due to the warm spring( April and May). Also nights have been cool and clear up here so not many good nights...

AndyC said...

Thing is there is always something good just around the corner......Might be an amazing year for the Winter Moths..

Edward Evans said...

Good point. I'm not sure that this year has been good for Autumn species with the weather as you say.

Martynbirder said...

not been too bad here in Luddenden but late September & early October have been very slow, only one Sallow here this autumn and 12 Centre-barred Sallow. Best year for Lunar Underwing with 36 12th to 23rd September but only one since on 4th October.

During October it has been 0-4 Moths nightly, this is certainly due to the clear cool nights with a northerly element to the wind

always worth trying though

Edward Evans said...

Yes martyn. I have had a few Sallow though.

Gordon Jackson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Gordon Jackson said...

This is not meant to sound downbeat, however; I've never seen a prominent, or a Puss Moth. I've not seen a single Sallow this year, or a Canary Shouldered thorn. In fact I've only seen one thorn this year. There are quite a few of my "regulars" which have not arrived this year, but I have had quite a few firsts, for me. I suppose it's swings and roundabouts. I had a good look at our rather small garden and couln't find a place to put a plank for sugaring, which I would be able to get to for photos. I'm sure there are some who'd say I was dodging the issue. I was fired up with the idea, until I looked at the garden. Oh well, life is what it is and I do get some nice moths each season, so I'm happy.

Edward Evans said...

Gordon, re sugaring.
I have found just putting one diagonal or flat is easy enough

Edward Evans said...

For planks that is.

Edward Evans said...

Another option is wine ropes
Do some research, they are quite good.

Gordon Jackson said...

Edward, Wine ropes? Can't I just drink the wine. Smile

I shall take a look at wine ropes, thanks

Edward Evans said...

I rarely do them because I tend to do sugaring but I know like sugaring you can get great results off them.