Friday, 16 June 2017

Lee Mount - 13th to 15th June

A lot of moths this week for the garden. Not easy to keep up with them though most I have been able to identify! I won't list them all - one or two gems below and two that are totally  baffling me...
 Setaceous Hebrew Character a first for here on 16th
 
 
 I have trawled through the books and web-site for this one and remain baffled. I thought a first 'a 'Prominent' then 'Shuttle-shaped Dart' and lots of others in between and still can't reach a conclusion especially it's pose and with those dark triangle marks at the base of the forewings. I didn't get time to measure as it quickly disappeared but looked 'Prominent' size.


 Can't reach a conclusion with this one either as there seem to be a few similar- maybe 16mm


 Flame Carpet
 
Lime Hawkmoth - arrived on the evening of 14th and stayed all the following day on the Buddleia bush - a beauty and a first for here.

5 comments:

Colin D said...


Possible 73.156 CLOUDED-BORDERED BRINDLE (Apamea crenata) open to correction see

http://www.butterfliesandinsects.org.uk/life_histories/73_noctuidae/73_xyleninae/73-156_clouded-bordered_brindle2.htm

David Sutcliffe said...

Think you've nailed it for me there Colin - thanks. I've struggled with this one previously ! It threw me with the wings being open, I think.

AndyC said...

Those CBB come in all sorts of sizes and colour form..also look at the brocades.........

richard bartlett said...

Hi David,
The 2nd Apamea is a Dusky Brocade.
Richard

David Sutcliffe said...

One again thank you for the help with those 'tricky' ones.