In case anyone is interested, I found this on line just now;
Double meaning of courtship song in a moth:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4100508/
Also, last night at 8:30 pm, Anne and I were sat in the the garden enjoying a glass or two of a very fine wine. We saw about ten Light Brown Apple moths, flying around each other, not two feet from Anne's head. Some of you may remember that one of Anne's brothers used to pretend he had a moth in his hands and was going to let it go in her face. She was very young, and terrified. This went on for a few years, she became frightened of moths.
Very slowly over the last ten years or so, I would show her moths sleeping in the garden. Last night was a break through, she held her hand out near the moths, hoping one would settle on her finger. As they moved a way, she put her hand near them again. Isn't that wonderful?
Right, I think I saw a post recently by Andy (?) mentioning moths dancing a courtship dance. I think he called it, "lecking". I'm not sure of the spelling and can't find the term online. Could someone please verify the term and give it's etymology? (Is it a local term, or an accepted one, in the moth world?). I'd be grateful, as I can't find a mention of it.
We had one LBA on the door this morning.
3 comments:
Yes I think lekking is a local term used for a male Ghost Moth's dance to impress a female, there are Ghost Moth leks on some nights in June. I am not entirely sure about the etymology though but I hope this helps.
Edward, Thank you, that's perfect. No wonder I wasn't able to find anything about lekking on line. Plus, the term doesn't relate to any other moths, for some strange reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lek_mating
Post a Comment