Wednesday, 16 June 2021

Ovenden Moor 15th JUne 2021.

 I spent three and a half hours walking the moor yesterday, I saw;


17 Small Heath butterflies

5 Small white's

1 Small Tortoiseshell


Also. several Skylarks. (One of my favourite bird songs.)

Two Curlews. (Another favourite bird song. They were the first I've heard this year, I was a little worried about not hearing them. My third birdsong is the Chaffinch)

Have other people noticed the scant amount of Swallows this year? We normally have a flock flying over us all day, in the village. This year, we've had very few.  We've only seen about ten at any one time. It's not a good sign.


2 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Good year for Small Heath's Gordon. Yes, Swallows are down considerably in our area at least, as are House Martins and Swifts. Not good news at all, hopefully those that have returned will have a good breeding season (??)

Gordon Jackson said...

Hi David. It seems logical to assume that Swallows are down in numbers generally then. I hope that the situation will improve next year, or the year after. At the moment, sadly. I doubt it.