Thursday, 28 July 2022

Stainland. Brown moth with white head. Mystery solved?

I was lucky enough to have a second moth of the same species of a brown moth with white head, yesterday afternoon. It was in a spot where I could take nine photos from different angles. I had to crop some photos to get a good look at it. It's not something I care to do as a rule.

There is not as much white on the second moth. However, I got enough photos to show in detail what is happening.

Studying them, I came to three conclusions:

1) It's a Udea prunalis.

2) Both moths have the same features, (white head and same body).

3) The structure and appearance of the white parts, suggests a fungal infection. They exhibit a soft, fluffy appearance.

The 5 photos below, show the details:

1) A shot of the whole moth. Note that the white part is visible on the right leg. The white area here, can clearly be seen to be fluffy on the original photo.

Udea prunalis TBC

2) The white area seems to be spreading round the eyes and to the roots of the antennae.

Spreading round the eyes

3) Showing the white areas spreading across it's face. The next two photos are a little soft focus. I wasn't able to keep the camera in exactly the same place, due to me shaking a little. (An after effect of the health issue.)

White areas spreading across it's face.

4) Showing the white area spreading to it's legs.

White area spreading to it's front legs.

5) Out of interest, I added another whole moth shot, from a different angle. In this image, you can't
see much of the white, just a little on the leading edge of it's left wing. Also, some white shows where it seems to be spreading around the outside edges of it's eyes.

Same moth, different angle

So, it's open to discussion, it it fungal or not? 

If yes, they does this need to be reported officially, in the way the British ladybirds fungal infection has been? I'm very happy to provide high quality photos if asked,


2 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

Looks like a good bit of detective work there Gordon.

Gordon Jackson said...

Thank you David. I assume that you agree? I couldn't get it out of my mind. When a second one arrived, I thought'd have a thorough look at it. It was very cooperative and stayed sleeping. The flash on my camera from 3 inches away didn't disturb it at all. I wish I could sleep like that!