Friday, 19 July 2019

Lee Mount - micro ?

Any help with this one appreciated.
I go through them with a tooth-comb, that's if I can get a decent picture in the first place. Not easy, then I give it up - then come back to it.......then most of them I give up on - but I keep trying.
It's so easy to go down the wrong path !!!
Any tips on getting photo's that don't go 'shiny' and distort the colour ?

Many thanks
Dave

5 comments:

charlie streets said...

Don't use flash?

Gordon Jackson said...

Try an oblique angle with the camera and flash. I could not get a good shot of the White Plume without a lot of silvery refection from the door. In the end I took a few shots pointing very slightly up at the moth, then very slightly down at it. The flash does not bounce back that way.

I discovered a while ago, that even with the light balance set to "Flash" there was a noticeable difference in colour to the same shot taken without it, one some, not all photos. I notice it more when taking flash-less photos of moth sleeping by the door in full sun.

David Sutcliffe said...

Many hanks for the comments - I'll keep trying !!

charlie streets said...

Your micro looks like Zeiraphera isertana.

Colin D said...

Colour cast is generally caused by under exposure that being a consequence of shooting at night and macro which is generally light starved if your keen you could correct levels and or curves at the risk of modifying the natural state - its a fine line and best presented as found There is no one answer as everyones technique , lens and or camera or set up will differ. You could try a diffuser on your flash or photograph them on a dark background such as black material to absorb any light at close quarter to avoid it bouncing