I had a walk down Robber Dodge yesterday. There was a lot of activity in the air, it being sunny and warm.
I counted:
25 Meadow Brown's
3 Small Tortoiseshell's
1 Red Admiral
Then I managed to get one or two photos, varying in quality. I didn't have my macro system, These were taken with my Lumix FZ72.
The Large Skipper was the best one. It's only the second time I've managed to get a photo of one, the last was over 30 years ago and not very good. They seem to be flighty little beasts.
Large Skipper.
I disturbed the next as I brushed a shrub. It was a nice surprise, again, only the second one I've seen. It's really been in the wars, but was flying strongly.
Yellow Shell moth.
I disturbed quite a few small, off white moths in the grass. I never got a good look at one. I did manage to get a poor photo of the following moth, (right in the center of the photo). I think it could be a Grass Veneer, but wouldn't put money on it.
Andy thinks it could be: Crambus pascuella. (See the comment).
We now have a consensus on the ID of the moth below. It IS a Crambus pascuella. My thanks to Andy and Charlie.
Andy thinks it could be: Crambus pascuella. (See the comment).
We now have a consensus on the ID of the moth below. It IS a Crambus pascuella. My thanks to Andy and Charlie.
Grass Veneer TBC.
Meadow Brown.
In case anyone has wondered about the name, "Robber Dodge" here it is;
At some point in the past, (who knows when?) a robber was running from the police and hid down there. Seemingly he got away. All the old Stainlandpeople know this story.




3 comments:
could be Crambus pascuella
Thank you Andy. I've added a note to the same in the blog post.
I'd be happy to record that as C.pascuella due to the shape of the longitudinal streak and the way it leaves the leading edge at around one third. Discounting rarities of course.
Still a very nice find though.
Post a Comment