Thursday, 25 July 2019

Stainland.

After Colin's slightly cryptic comment below. I did what was suggested. I think I'm supposed to say The Common Wainscot in this post is really a Smokey 
Wainscot. The other 2 Wainscots were too high up for me to tell at was 3 am I used the FZ27. I've changed it's name to suit. I'm holding my breath in case I'm wrong again. I do seem to be getting worse at IDs, rather than better. I don;t know why. Sorry. I would dearly like someone to ID the Copper(ish) moth below.

It was party time at our door last night again.

Numbers first this time, photos after. There is one I'm having trouble with.

16 x Marbled Beauties. (2 more than the night before).
4 x Eudonia species.
2 x Common Footman.

So, the photos:

This moth, which is new to me this year, seems to be very much in evidence. I've seen 4 so far. You never see one, then they're all over the place.

Smokey Wainscot.

I don't know what the next one is. Manley did not help me.The photos did not capture the copper shine of this one. It was roughly 1.5 cm nose to tail. It would be nice to get an ID on it, if only because of it's copper colour.

ID Needed.

There were three Blastobasis adustella. Two pale, one dark. I made the diagnosis of the pale ones based on the pale inverted, "V" or really an "X" shape, a third of the way down. It's far more clearly defined on the dark sample below this one.

Blastobasis adustella.

Blastobasis adustella.
I take this last one to be a Eudonia mercurella, based on Colin's ID of one I posted earlier. At the top of this post, I said there were 4 Eudonia. 2 of them were to high up for me to get close to. The other 2 were the same, E. Mercurella, as far as I can tell.

Eudonia mercurella, 

1 comment:

Colin D said...

http://www.bettonyb.co.uk/wainscots.html ?????? I'll let you do the rest Gordon :-)