Colin posted a Eudonia with a certain amount of doubt. I have a similar situation. I'm fairly certain the first moth below is correctly ID'd. The second one is the problem. I simply cannot decide if it's the same species as the one above or not. I'm open to correction.
I only discovered this morning, on Norfolk Moths, that the Eudonia lacustrata has a common name; Little Grey. I think that's rather sweet.
Eudonia lacustrata - Little Grey.
(Thanks for the correction Charlie).
(Thanks for the correction Charlie).
So, here is the one I'm not sure of. Norfolk Moths shows that Eudonia lacustrata has a brown version as well as the grey. On the other hand, I can't decide if the markings of it are the same as the Eudonia lacustrata or not. Help please?
Eudonia lacustrata. (TBC).
Blastobasis lacticolella.
I'm putting this next, well-posted-already moth, to draw attention to an observation. For the four or so years that I've been recording moths, the grey/black/white variety of Marbled Beauty, has always appeared before the brown/orange variety and in far greater numbers.
This year, I got one or two grey ones, then suddenly and arriving earlier than before, I had a lot of the orange ones. These have out-numbered the grey, for me at least. The poor weather will have reduced the amount of moths flying, but doesn't explain the whole picture. I suppose we shall never know what happens in these situations.
Marbled Beauty.




5 comments:
Norfolk Moths is a very helpful website Gordon. I've started using it quite often to double check, sometimes.
Like your article, thanks for sharing..
Visit my site at http://bit.ly/2vOqVoQ
Thank you Barracuda
All micros have common names and most appear on the Norfolk Moths website. It's from a list compiled by Porter and the Natural History Museum has the full list. I've now started using both names for micros.
The second comment is a spammer Gordon, it's very generic with now specific reference to anything.
It's Eudonia not Eudora
Thanks Charlie. I knew it was a Eudonia, I have no idea why I typed that. Obviously, the confusion and lack of concentration has not yet left me.
I discovered it was a spammer too late. It's a company in Indonesia, selling fishing products. I'll not voice my opinions of spammers, trolls and those who perpetrate viral and phishing attacks. Love and peace and all that, but....
Post a Comment