Tuesday, 22 September 2020

Rishworth - Overnight Moths - 21st September - MY BEST AUTUMN NIGHT YET!

 A fantastic night here in Rishworth with Autumn species has left me over the moon, I assume you can see why if you read on...

A fantastic night though. The numbers may seem pathetic but fantastic species.


The new blogger strikes again, my list seems to have gone to the bottom of the page.

Heath Rustic, Rishworth, 21st September

Feathered Ranunculus, Rishworth, 21st Sepetember

Merveille du Jour, Rishworth, 21st September

Feathered Ranunculus, Rishworth, 21st September

Moth Trap 21st September:

Merveille du Jour x1 [NFY]

Heath Rustic x1 [NFG]

Feathered Ranunculus x1 [NFG]

Copper Underwing Agg. x5

Large Yellow Underwing x1


Just some notes on why I am so pleased with these. Merveille du Jour is common elsewhere but rather scarce here in Calderdale and it is beautiful, in addition, it is my second year on the trot I have had this moth. Feathered Ranunculus is also beautiful but has very few inland populations in the UK, Calderdale being one. Heath Rustic because likewise with Neglected Rustic not many people see this moth but I fortunately do. And finally, I don't think many people have managed these three species in their Garden Trap on one night.


4 comments:

Martynbirder said...

cracking night that Edward

never had Feathered Ranunculus here (yet!)

keep those fingers crossed for Lunar Underwing you've got to get one soon, I've had 32 in the last 10 days

Edward Evans said...

Martin, have a look around Luddenden for Biting Stonecrop, it feeds on it. Amazing to get them here because it is such a coastal species. Good luck. L Underwing seem to be commeon everywhere but here!

AndyC said...

A great night , Heath Rustic , FR and MDJ are great moths and in the same night..!!! I carnt beat it but on the 4th October 2005 I had MDJ , Black Rustic and Red Underwing which at the time were all very scarce in Calderdale..So there is still plenty time for some more good moths....

Edward Evans said...

Thanks Andy, indeed, one month left until we start getting nowt nearly every night