Sunday, 27 September 2020

Stainland.

One Rosy Rustic last night. It's markings are different to the one I posted on the 18th of Sept. As has happened in the past, a species I've not seen before, then I find two in the same month. Perhaps they are around in bigger numbers this year. Does anyone know? 


Rosy Rustic.





7 comments:

Edward Evans said...

Surprisingly compared to your new-found population, nationally this is a rather rapidl declining moth I believe.

Gordon Jackson said...

Edward, thank you. Your information is very interesting. A couple of people have suggested that I may be in a hotspot for moths.

All I know, is that I get quite a lot of moths which have been burned with unshielded lamps. I feel that legally, all traps should have a lamp shield, even home-made ones. Ah, well, one can dream.

Edward Evans said...

Gordon, I have no experience of moths being burnt, I run an actinic trap though which is colder running bulb, whereas MV bulbs are hot, but still don't know of anyone with that experience. Moth traps are not widely used throughout the country and are relatively rare as not very many people run them. I think that no one else runs a light trap south of me, so I don't know where you're scorched moths come from unless it is your light (?) I know David and Andy run MV lights and as far as I'm aware have never experienced the scorching. Generally moths with no markings on there wings is caused by water or heavy rain.

I have seen many moths sat actually on the bulb absolutely fine so I too am unfamiliar with the case. Moths may also lose markings for scrapes on materials such as bark or when they go in tight spots.

I hope this helps, (I really do more than ever as this my longest rant yet).

Edward

Edward Evans said...

As in South of me I mean south of me in Calderdale.

David Sutcliffe said...

Only ever had 5 Rosy Rustic here in a 5 year period but none this year. Nice one Gordon.

Gordon Jackson said...

On a Cromwell Botton moth night, we saw quite a few moths that had been burned with MV lamps which had been used without a shield. Look for a orange-brown, glossy looking area at the back of the head. It was explained to me by Colin.

Our security light is a low wattage, household, low energy bulb. It's protected by a ships bulkhead (weatherproof) thick glass cover. You can hold the lit bulb in your hand.

Moths are capable of flying prodigious distances, look at the ones that fly from abroad to here. I have not seen a trap in our area, so they are flying some distance. It's one of life's little mysteries, I'm afriad.

Edward Evans said...

Ah, I have seen the orange bit be caused by water, but also quite rarely at MV lights. The good thing is, the science says it only effects aesthetically, instead of hurting them hard.

The ones in your area may just have wear and tear, or be caused by the aforementioned water.