Friday, 2 July 2021

A few about now

Lots of Chimmney Sweeper moths on just about every road verge and bridleway up here at the moment, a very common species again thankfully.

Most closed up fresh Foxglove flowers contain Foxglove Pug Larvae at the moment

Lots of mines of Mompha raschkiella on most patches of Rosebay Willowherb now

Spotted the first narrow Bordered Five Spot Burnett on 1st July some still on the pupal case

I have to admit I enjoy going out into the field to find moths far more satisfying than running an MV light. I run mine in the garden around once every seven days simply to add to the local records for the area but its not my fav method of recording. I think when you start out its great as you see all the moths that even though they may be common you have only seen in books, but once you have seen several thousand LYW or Common Quaker the thrill wears off :)

I have a Robinson 125 Watt MV which I am will to loan to anyone who does not have a trap and wants to trap their local area. Obviously I would like the trap back every 7/10 days to trap up here but if anyone wants to borrow it feel free to contact me for the address to collect it from

No comments: