Monday, 12 July 2021

Stainland. 10 & 12 July.

 This is a list of moths I've had at the house for the 10th and 12 of July. There were no moths on the 11th. The 10th was a good night, I was busy taking photos of them from 2:30 until 3:30 am. Today I spent 5 hours trying to ID some of the moths I'd not seen before. I'm more than a bit frazzled now. Those I'm not sure of, or I think are of interest, will be at the end. (Some very poor images here).

 

11th July: (24 moths, a record for me)

2 x small Magpies.

2 x Brimstone

6 x Marbled Beauties (see photo comparison below)

5 x Blastobasis lactocollela

1 x Snout 

1 x Swallowtail (worn and with wing damage)

1 x Riband Wave - Non Banded)

1 x Bee Moth

1 x Common Footman

1 x Brown House Moth

1 x Current Pug (new to me)

1 x Flame (new to me) TBC

1 x No ID (see photo) TBC

There were 3 or 4 larger moths flying around too. Non of them settled, they just kept coming back to tease me.


12th July:

1 x Riband Wave -Banded

 

I managed to get a photo of the snout flying away from me, just before it landed:-

 

 
Snout flying away

 


Marbled Beauties, 2 Different colours. The brown was much bigger than the grey. Some greys were also bigger than this one. Another Marbled Beauty was a mixture of the grey and the brown liveries.

Current Pug
 
I spent a long time trying to ID this next one, I hope I got it right.
 
Flame

After going through all my moth books 3 times, and looking on line, I wasn't able to get a match.

ID needed please


If I got any of these wrong, please correct me. 
Right. I'm off to run my head under the tap, then have a couple of stiff malt whiskies.



 

 


 

 

 

3 comments:

David Sutcliffe said...

You do well for different Marbled Beauties Gordon. Mine here invariably are all the same and not much variation. Nice shots of the differences. David

AndyC said...

the grass moth types need to hAVE A SIDE on photo , otherwise its realy hard to tell which species it might be..They are tricky enough when you see them well.... : ))

Gordon Jackson said...

Re: Side Views. I've remarked previously that tmost of the moths I post what are taken about 2-3 am are high up above th door on the fan light, or on the top of the door. They could be kinder to me and come lower down! It's a shame, as some of the moths I've had are in really odd areas at strange angles. I can't be putting noisy aluminium ladders up at that time of night. If waken the tiny kids on the street, these young Yorkshire mothers would lynch me, I can't run very fast these days.