Thursday, 2 October 2008

New Yahoo Moths

Hi all
I am currently setting up a new group on Yahoo to cover hints & tips on finding lepidoptera. The idea is to have have 12 monthly files that tips can be added to for each family of lepidoptera in the UK. I have couple of people who are helping out with hints and tips but the forum is not public yet until I get some more stuff loaded up. The group will be available for public viewing but you will have to be a member to post. This is a long term project I have been interested in for years and hopefully it will grow into a large resource giving people an idea when and how to find lepidoptera. Hopefully you guys who like to get out in the field looking for lepidoptera will wish to contribute.

2 comments:

charlie streets said...

Looking forward to it going on line Paul. There's one family I'm particularly interested in finding and I know it's one of the few you've had very little success at- the bagworms. Obviously I'll be doing all the research I can but any addition help your Yahoo group can give would be great.

I'd really like to rear a female through and photograph what surely must be one of the most bizarre looking of all moths.Psyche casta is "widely recorded and sometimes common in woodland and moorland localities" in VC63 (Sutton and Beaumont)- surely they must occur in Calderdale??

Paul Talbot..aka Moffman said...

Hi Charly
Ian Kimber and I found ONE female casta case in several years of looking. I will dig out some info sent to me by a Dutch lepidopterist on how to look for bagworms.